If you have difficulty putting your bin/recycling bags out for collection you may be eligible for an assisted collection and you will be offered a free 140 blue bin for recycling.
(The free blue bin is only available to residents on the assisted collection scheme and the bin remains the property of the council. If the bin is no longer needed for any reason the bin should be returned to the council.)
This service is aimed at assisting residents who are permanently unable to present the bin themselves and have no-one living with them who is able to present it for them.
A temporary service can be provided for residents who need assistance in the short term due to an accident, illness or pregnancy and do not have a partner or relative who can put the bin out for them.
- Information may be requested to support the application, e.g. confirmation from a recognised organisation or a medical note
- If a young person of 14 years or older lives permanently at the address assisted collection may not be granted. Each case will be assessed individually
- Most applications can be processed without the need for a visit. However in some cases an officer may visit to provide further information about the service, assist with the application form, and/or agree a suitable storage point for the bin.
- Temporary assistance may be granted in appropriate circumstances, e.g. short-term illnesses, injuries or pregnancy.
- We will occasionally check with residents that the service is still required - please ensure you return any forms you receive from us so that you continue to receive the assisted collection service.
If you would like to discuss this with someone please call our customer service advisors on 0115 907 2244 and they will be happy to help.