On collection day, place your black bin at the edge of your property where it joins the footpath or road, closest to where the refuse vehicle passes.
The black bin must be placed out for collection by 7am on your day of collection. Due to breakdowns, roadworks etc we cannot guarantee your collection will take place at the same time every fortnight.
Black bins should be placed out for collection on the alternative week to your green recycling bags/blue bin, and brown bin.
If you follow the information provided on these pages and recycle as much as possible you should find that you have very little waste left to place in your black bin. Recycle as much as you can either through our services or by using charity shops or the internet to either sell or give away items which may be useful to others and you will not only be helping the environment but you will find you have plenty of room in your black bin for the items below.
Did you know?
Nearly 20% of food brought into the home is thrown away – that’s like throwing one bag of shopping away out of every five.
Wasting food is estimated to cost the average household £470 a year and up to £700 for families. Limp lettuce, bruised bananas, mouldy bread… sound familiar? Not to mention all those lovely leftovers heading straight for the bin.
- Food waste
- Polystyrene, white polystyrene food trays & bubble wrap
- Pet waste
- Broken crockery or cutlery
- Vacuum cleaner contents (this can go in a compost bin!)
Please do not put the following items into your black bin. All of these items should be placed in your green recycling bags or blue bin.
- Plastic bottles and tubs including milk bottles, pop bottles, water bottles, cleaning and beauty product bottles, margarine tubs, butter tubs, soft cheese tubs, yoghurt pots, cream pots, ready meal food trays, empty carrier bags (please tie in a knot)
- Food cans, drinks cans, clean foil, foil food dishes, aerosol cans (empty)
- Paper, Newspapers, magazines, junk mail, greetings cards, envelopes, wrapping paper, yellow pages, telephone directories, paperback books, writing paper, printing paper, shredded paper
- Cardboard and corrugated boxes, cereal and washing powder boxes, food or drink cartons (Tetra paks), egg boxes
- Glass bottles and jars of all colours. (please remove the lids and place them in the blue bins/recycling bags.)
Please do not put the following items in your black bin. You are provided with a brown bin in which to place garden waste such as:
- Grass cuttings, windfall fruit, weeds, hedge trimmings, dead flowers, trimmed branches no thicker than a standard food tin
- Building rubble, plaster, gravel, stones or bricks should not be placed in the black bin. Small amounts can be disposed of at the Civic Ammenity site on Manners Avenue, Ilkeston or by hiring a skip. The Council cannot remove these items for you
Related Links and Attachments
- What happens to my recycling?
- North Zone Waste Collections Winter 2016/17 [PDF 2.4MB]
- South Zone Waste Collections Winter 2016/17 [PDF 2.5MB]