On collection day, place your brown bin at the edge of your property where it joins the footpath or road, closest to where the refuse vehicle passes.
The brown bin must be placed out for collection by 7am on your day of collection. Due to breakdowns, roadworks etc we cannot guarantee your collection will take place at the same time every fortnight.
Brown bins should be placed out for collection on the same day as your green recycling bags/blue bin, your black bin is collected the following week.
What can be recycled?
Residents are provided with a brown bin in which to place garden waste such as;
- Grass cuttings, leaves and shrub/bush trimmings
- Windfall fruit
- Hedge trimmings
- Dead flowers, plants and weeds all with soil shaken off
- Trimmed branches no thicker than a standard food tin.
Please do not put the following items into your brown bin:
- Soil, sand, gravel, bricks, rubble or stones. (Small amounts can be taken to the Household Waste Recycling Centre on Manners Industrial estate).
- Textiles, shoes or clothes (may be recycled at one of our recycling sites around the Borough or taken to a charity shop).
- Food waste must not be placed in the brown bin (this can go in ether the black bin or placed in a composter).
- Toys (these can be taken to a charity shop or sold on the internet).
- Please do not place garden tools, garden ornaments or garden machinery such as lawn mowers in the brown bin. (The Council may remove broken garden tools, ornaments and broken lawn mowers through the bulky collection service)
- Vacuum cleaner contents (this can go in a compost bin!)
- Nappies, pet waste, bubble wrap, broken crockery and cutlery, polystyrene and white polystyrene food trays should be placed in the household waste bin)
Related Links and Attachments
- What happens to my recycling?
- North Zone Waste Collections Winter 2016/17 [PDF 2.4MB]
- South Zone Waste Collections Winter 2016/17 [PDF 2.5MB]