In partnership with the Friends of Erewash Museum, the Council has erected a plaque at 3 Lows Lane, Stanton-by-Dale, commemorating the aeronautical engineer Oswald Short.
Hugh Oswald Short (1883-1969) was the son of Samuel Short, an employee at the Stanton Ironworks. It is thought that Oswald lived at 3 Lows Lane until his father's death in 1895.
Oswald was the driving force behind Short Brothers, aeronautical engineers, establishing the firm's seaplane factory at Rochester (1914) and airship factory at Cardington (1916). He was chairman of the firm from 1919 and managing director from 1932. Oswald's genius can be seen in his pioneering work on "stressed skin" aircraft construction, a technology that has since gained worldwide acceptance. He was an honorary fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society and president of the Society of Aviation Artists.
The plaque was funded by public subscription. We are grateful for the contribution made by the Bombardier Aerospace (NI) Foundation and by the following individual subscribers (in alphabetical order):
- Rt Hon Lord Brabazon of Tara DL
- Norma Crowe (Medway Archives)
- David Ellwood
- Peter George
- David Hayes
- Ilkeston & District Local History Society
- Helen Landau
- Kathleen Trueman
The plaque was manufactured and installed by Leander Architectural of Buxton.