Permitted development rights mean than in many cases you can extend or add to your house without having to apply for planning permission.

Visit the Planning Portal website for an interactive guide.

The Planning Portal offers a wide range of services and guidance on the planning system and can answer questions like:

  • Do I need to make an application?

  • How do I make an application?

  • What is the appeal process?

If you are planning work to your home that you believe falls under the limits of permitted development but would like confirmation of this you will need to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for a proposed use or development. The form can be found on our website on our Application forms page and is form 1APP 15. We will also require plans and the fee which is half the fee for a householder application.

If it is determined that planning permission is required you will then need to apply for planning permission. If you have paid a fee for a Lawful Development Certificate you will only be required to pay the other half of the householder fee.

Please be aware that the work may also require building regulations and you are advised to check with the Building Control team.

Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP 0115 907 2244