Guidance for those who wish to lower the kerb to provide vehicular access to a property

Vehicle Crossovers are sections of pavement with a lowered kerb connecting a private driveway to the highway. The installation of crossovers is paid for by residents but all are maintained by Derbyshire County Council who are responsible for maintaining all roads within the Borough of Erewash.. They provide a designated area for homeowners to drive their cars legally over the footway to reach their driveway.

If the property at which you would like to create a vehicular access is on a classified road, you will need planning permission from Erewash Borough Council. If the property is on a non-classified road, you will not need planning from Erewash Borough Council.

Regardless of whether or not you need permission from Erewash Borough Council (for the creation of a vehicular access) you will need to contact Derbyshire County Council to arrange for an approved contractor to carry out the work to drop the kerb. 

More information can be found on Derbyshire County Council's Dropped Kerbs page.


If planning permission is required you can find the householder application (1APP01) form on our applications forms page.

Please note: Derbyshire County Council provide all information regarding classified/non-classified roads. If, after following the guidance below you are still unsure as to whether the road in question is classified/non-classified, Derbyshire County Council will be able to confirm this for you.


To find out whether the property is on a classified road:

  • Follow this link to the Derbyshire Mapping Portal
  • Using the search facility bring up the property on the map
  • Select 'Change map information' on the left hand menu
  • Select the heading 'Transport & Infrastructure' and tick the box next to 'Adopted Highways'
  • The map should then update and there will be pink lines on the roads
  • Click the 'i' button that is below the map and click on the road in question - information about whether or not the road is classified will appear in the left hand menu.

Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP 0115 907 2244