Data Protection, Freedom of Information (FoI) and Environmental Information Regulations (EIR)
The Ministry of Justice are responsible in government for upholding justice, rights and democracy.
Their objectives are to:
- provide effective and accessible justice for all
- ensure people's rights and responsibilities
- enhance democratic freedoms by modernising the law and the constitution.
The departments specific responsibilities in relation to people’s rights include:
- the law and policy on human rights
- information rights - including freedom of information and data protection
- gender recognition.
The Information Commissioner
The Information Commissioner is an independent official appointed by the Crown to oversee the Data Protection Act 1998, the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004.
The Information Commissioner has a duty to Promote public access to official information and protecting your personal information and provides extensive guidance on how people can exercise their rights.