You are currently able to access your Council Tax and Housing Benefit/Council Tax Support details online. If you are already registered and have a username and password please select Existing Users Log In below.

If you are using this service for the first time please select Register for Online Services.


Existing Users Log In   Register for Online Services
My Erewash Login


The Council Tax charge is partly based on the value of a property and partly on the number of adult residents. The property element and the person element each amount to 50 per cent of the charge.

Details of some of the discounts/reliefs are listed below and application forms are also available on the Forms page of this website, to enable you to apply for any relevant reduction. However the quickest way to apply is to apply online.

If you are on a low income (i.e. Job Seekers Allowance or have a low paid job), you may be able to get a reduction in your Council Tax.  If there is just yourself and another adult in the property and that adult is on a low income, you may qualify for Second Adult Rebate.  Complete the application form for Council Tax Support and we will check whether this is applicable.

Apply for help if you or another adult is on a low income

Apply for Exemption/Discount online

Complete Apprentice Exemption/Discount REVIEW online

Complete Severely Mentally Impaired Review online

There are changes to discounts for unoccupied properties. For more information, please click on the Council tax exemptions page.

The basic bill assumes that there are two adults resident in the property. If there are more than two, the charge is not increased, but if there are fewer than two, a discount can be granted. This discount amounts to 25 per cent of the total charge, in other words, half of the personal element of the charge.

  • Apply for, or remove Single Persons Discount online

If you know someone who has dementia please read the guidance from the Alzheimers Society about how you may be eligible to claim a discount if you have dementia or are a carer.

Discretionary Council Tax Relief

The Local Government Finance Act 1992 (as amended) gives Erewash Borough Council the discretion to reduce Council Tax in individual cases or groups of cases. This is known as a discretionary reduction and the cost of discretionary reductions have to be met from our funds or through increasing Council Tax for other payers.  We will consider all written applications with supporting evidence on an individual basis.

Disregarded persons

When counting the number of adult residents in a property, certain categories of people are not included. For this reason they are known as "disregarded persons". A brief description of these categories is shown below:

  • Students, Student Nurses and non-British spouses or dependants of full-time students

  • Apprentices (salary no more than £195.00 per week) and Youth Training Scheme Trainees.

  • Persons over 18 in respect of whom Child Benefit is still payable.

  • Persons who are resident in a nursing home and receiving care.

  • School and further education college leavers under 20, from the date they leave school to 1 November that year.

  • Persons in Prison or detained under the Mental Health Act/Immigration law.

  • Severely mentally impaired persons who are entitled to certain qualifying state benefits.

  • Persons living in the property in order to provide care for another person (unless they are paid more than £44 a week for this) and that person is not a spouse, partner or child under 18 years.

  • Members of international headquarters and their dependants.

  • Members of religious communities with no income or capital of their own.

In order to assess whether you qualify for discount, count up the number of adults in your household and then exclude anyone in the disregarded categories above.

  • If the total is two or more, no discount is applicable.

  • If the total is one, you will qualify for a 25 per cent discount.

  • If the total is zero, a discount of 50 per cent of the charge will apply.

A property may have a resident count of zero because all the occupiers are disregarded, for example, a family consisting of a student and a person still on Child Benefit.

Disabled Relief

If you, or someone who lives with you, need a room, or an extra bathroom or kitchen, or extra space in your property to meet special needs arising from a disability, you may be entitled to a reduced Council Tax bill.

The bill may be reduced to that of a dwelling in the band immediately below the band shown on the valuation list (if the dwelling is in Band A, the reduced charge is calculated as five ninths of a Band D charge).

These reductions ensure that disabled people do not pay more Council Tax on account of space needed because of a disability.


Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP
0115 907 2244
DC Employer