The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018
The Regualtions came into force on 1 October 2018. There are significant changes to the licensing regime including the introduction of a ‘star’ rating and the potential for the local authority to issue a 1, 2 or a 3 year licence depending on the standards in place. New fees have also been introduced - link to Animal Welfare Fees
You are advised to read the procedural guidance which outlines the star rating scheme as well as the specific guidance notes.
- Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018
- Procedural guidance notes
Please go to the specific activity page for additional information.
Please note - Dangerous wild animal and zoo licecnces are not included in this legislation
List of Licenced Providers
Local authorities are expected to publish a list of licenced premises and thier star rating. The list is of those premises licenced to the date shown on the list. Premises appear in star rating order and as extracted from the database so no perference is given to those at the top of the list. The rating is based on a number of issues including written procedures so does not indicate any concerns regarding animal welfare.
Please be aware that the list does not include:
- Applications that are still being processed, these will be included once the licence has been issued.
- Franchise host dog boarders that do not need a licence in thier own right.
- Premises that have been assessed as being out of scope and do not require a licence.
- Dog walkers as this activity does not need a licence.