The cost of a council bulky waste collection for up to six items is £25.75 (from April 2020). Please call our contact centre on 0115 907 2244 to arrange a collection.

Items should be presented at the front of the property.  Refunds will not be given if we attend a property to collect bulky items or white goods and the items are not presented or they have been removed by a third party. 

Some local charities will collect furniture and white goods for free. They are:

If you are vacating rented accommodation, please check with your landlord whether the removal of unwanted items and any associated costs is your responsibility.  Refunds will not be given unless the collection is cancelled before we attempt to collect the items on any given Wednesday.

The following list contains items that are most frequently collected as bulky items.  Presented items that we can not take will be left and no refund made:

  • A bed base
  • A mattress
  • A wardrobe
  • A dining room table
  • Two dining room chairs (1 item)
  • A settee (we can not take settees that have metal in them, e.g. recliners, unless the metal is removed)
  • A living room arm chair (we can not take chairs that have metal in them, e.g. recliners, unless the metal is removed)
  • Carpet (carpet and underlay for a room, will be treated as two separate items)
  • Glass and mirrors (these items must be broken, wrapped in paper or cardboard and placed safely in a box before collection).

White Goods

A white goods collection is £17.50 (from April 2020) for up to three items. These include:

  • Domestic fridge / freezer  (We are unable to take American style fridge/freezers)
  • Cooker
  • Washing machine
  • Tumble drier
  • Washer/drier
  • Ovens
  • Hobs
  • Microwaves
  • Lawn Mowers
  • Some metal items, such as "Z-beds" (ask the contact centre staff for more information about these items).

Please ensure that all food items are removed from a fridge or freezer that is being left out for collection.

Electrical items, such as large "American style" fridge/freezers can be disposed of at the Derbyshire County Council Recycling Centre on Manners Industrial Estate, Ilkeston.

If you are having a new fridge/freezer ask the company you are ordering it from if they will collect and dispose of the old one for you, or if your old fridge freezer is in good working order, contact a local charity shop to see if they can take it. 

We can only take waste which conforms with the Waste Management Licence of the site we take items to and complies with the EWC  (European Waste Codes ), these codes legislate the duty of care, types of waste and how they must be stored. Waste which does not conform will be rejected, i.e. dismantled white goods may not be taken.

Small electrical items - sometimes these can be taken for free

In addition a carrier bag of small electrical items such as hairdryers, toasters, kettles, irons etc can also be placed out at the same time as your white goods and this will be collected free of charge. Small electrical items presented in this way do not count towards your three items of white goods.

To organise a white goods collection, please call the contact centre on 0115 907 2244.

When will my collection take place?

Collections are made on a Wednesday but demand for the service means that we can not guarantee that items will be collected on the first Wednesday after booking.  Please note that items for collection should be presented at the front of the property.


The council will not collect:

  • Construction waste / materials i.e. wood, bricks, soil, sand etc.
  • General household waste (bagged or otherwise) i.e. items that would normally go in the "black bin"
  • Items arising from Commercial / Industrial enterprises (including materials arising from rental properties - e.g. property clearance)
  • Items that would normally be collected as kerbside recycling such as cardboard, paper, plastic bottles, tins or glass bottles
  • Gardening waste suitable for the brown bin / landscaping materials
  • Very large / heavy items i.e. oil tanks, cars, motorcycles,
  • Items that are dangerous / unsafe by design or condition
  • Items that require specialist disposal
  • Weapons and firearms (including air rifles/pistols)
  • Hazardous / biological waste or materials for which specific licences are required for disposal.

Trade, Commercial and Business Premises

For details about the Council’s trade waste collection service please call 0115 9072303.

Could I offer them someone who may put them to good use?

If you would like to offer your items to someone in your area free of charge. Recycle Now is a free service that allows members to list unwanted items for charities to claim if they wish to do so. After 48 hours the listing becomes available to the general public if it is no use to the charity partners.

Hazardous waste

We do not collect commercial or industrial waste, builders' rubble, slabs, chemical waste, pesticides, oils, fertilisers or paint and thinners. Some of these items may be taken to the household waste recycling centre on Manners Industrial Estate, Ilkeston.

Low energy light bulbs contain a small amount of mercury and are therefore classed as hazardous waste, these should be taken to the Civic Amenity Site on the Manners Industrial Estate in Ilkeston to be disposed of properly, they should not be placed in the household waste bin.

If you break a bulb advice from the Department of the Environment recommends that you vacate the room for at least 15 minutes before cleaning up the broken bulb with a broom or a damp cloth whilst wearing rubber gloves before placing it in a sealed plastic bag. Do not use a vacuum cleaner and care must be taken not to inhale the dust. 

Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP
0115 907 2244
DC Employer