Council Tax Support is not always enough for you to be able to pay your Council Tax bill. If you have unusual or extreme circumstances which are causing hardship we may be able to help.

There is a scheme that can help in difficult situations. It's called the Council Tax Discretionary Fund. As the name suggests, we make payments at our discretion.

There are no rules that give anyone a right to a payment, but we may be able to pay you from the Discretionary Fund if we believe that you need extra financial support.

To receive an award you must:

  • Be getting Council Tax Support

  • Satisfy the Discretionary Housing Payment Officer that you require extra help with housing costs by providing your income and expenses.

There is still some funding available for the current year. Further information is on the Discretionary Housing Payment Page.

Information for new residents or householders can be found on the new to the area page.


If you are experiencing difficulties paying any debts, the Council recommends that you contact the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) on 0300 456 8390 for independent and free advice. Drop in services are available within the Erewash Borough area - please contact the CAB for further details.

Useful links