Each year, Electoral Services compile the Register of Electors for Erewash.

This is done through the annual canvass, which takes place between July and November each year, and rolling registration, which is done on a monthly basis. On 1 December each year, two electoral registers are published, the full register and the edited register.

What you need to do now....

It's a legal requirement to respond to this form. We'll ask you to:

  • Confirm that the details of those living at your address and registered to vote are correct

  • Add anyone new (including anyone aged 16 or 17)

  • Delete anyone no longer in the household

  • Anyone in the household can respond to the household enquiry form. 

To confirm your details you can visit www.hef-response.co.uk 

or by text to 07507 319820;

or by telephoning 0800 0253145

You will need to have your form to hand with the password and security code when using any of the these methods.

You can also register your response by phoning us on 0115 9071190 and confirming your details with a member of staff, or you can email us at electreg@erewash.gov.uk  and confirm your address along with the names of anyone resident at the property over the age of 16.

You can, of course, still post your form back to us, please make any changes to the form, for example add, remove or amend details, sign and send back to us in the pre-paid envelope.

If you are not listed on the Household Enquiry Form you will still need to complete and return the form and then you will need to register yourself individually, a form will be sent out to each person - the easiest way to register however is online at gov.uk/register-to-vote.

There are two registers. Why?

Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers – the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The electoral register

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as:

• detecting crime (e.g. fraud)

• calling people for jury service

• checking credit applications.

The Open Register

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details. Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

If you wish to permanently opt out of the open register please download a form here.

You can find more information about both registers and how they may be used at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote.

Your personal information

We will only use the information you give us for electoral purposes. We will look after personal information securely and we will follow the Data Protection Act 1998. We will not give personal information about you and the other people in your household to anyone else or another organisation unless we have to by law.

It is a legal requirement to register. You will not be able to vote unless your name is included in the Register of Electors. Even if you do not intend to vote, you should return the registration form, including details of everyone living at the property who is eligible to vote. The register is also used for many things other than elections. Credit Reference companies use the register to verify your identity when you apply for credit, and if you name does not appear on the register, you could be turned down for a mortgage, bank account, loan, credit card, mobile phone and other forms of credit.

Rolling registration

If you move house during the year you can apply to be added to the electoral register at your new address through the rolling registration process. Applications for rolling registration can be made monthly and are subject to any objections being received.

There is space on the form to state your previous address. It is important to inform us of your previous address so that the information currently held on the electoral register can be altered.

It is important that you re-register as soon as possible after you move house so that when an election is called, you will be able to vote and you are on the register at the correct address for credit reference purposes.

You can register on line by following this link or you can contact Electoral Services on 0115 9071190 for an application form to be posted to you.

Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP
0115 907 2244
DC Employer