There are organisations that can help guide people to make choices about how to stay independent as they get older, such as FirstStop Advice; an independent, impartial and free service offering advice and information to older people, their families and carers about housing and care options for later life. The service is provided by Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC) in partnership with a number of other national and local organisations.

Not everyone is ready for independent living. You may have never held a tenancy before or may have struggled to maintain a tenancy in the past. You may have other issues that have impacted on your ability to hold a tenancy such as mental health issues, offending behaviour or drug/alcohol addictions.

Supported accommodation is designed to help individuals bridge the gap between homelessness and independent living.

You could be offered the opportunity to develop life skills such as cooking, literacy or IT through training provided by experienced members of staff. Specialist supported accommodation may also be able to help you with mental health issues, offending behaviour or drug/alcohol addictions.

This enables the transition to independent housing to take place smoothly and ensures the individual has the skills needed to sustain a tenancy. There are a variety of supported housing projects in Erewash.

If you already have a tenancy that you are struggling to manage and would like help with this we may be able to refer you for floating support to support you whilst you remain in your property.

If you think you would benefit from this type of accommodation or support, please contact a member of the Housing Options Team on 0115 907 2244 ext 3590 or email

The project will want to interview you, and if accepted you may have to wait for a vacancy. Once you have completed a successful period in supported accommodation you will be considered for a move on into independent living.

There are a number of services in Erewash which help to support people to live more independently and maintain their accommodation.

A full list of support services in Erewash can be found on the Erewash Directory of Support Services

Referrals to supported accommodation can be made, where appropriate, by the Housing Options Team or other organisations.

Many of these services are co-ordinated and funded by the Derbyshire Accommodation and Support Team) at the county council. There is a directory of all Derbyshire housing-related support schemes on its website. 

 A list of all housing associations within the Borough is also available here.