Erewash Borough Council is working to help residents who are struggling financially due to the Coronavirus lockdown and may have difficulty meeting instalments.

The Council will not be taking recovery action against residents who are struggling to pay their Council Tax. Furthermore, the Council can assure those residents who cannot make their usual payments due to the closure of the Council’s receptions that they will not be pursued for any consequent arrears during this period.

Vulnerable taxpayers may be able to get a reduction to the payment or be able to delay instalments.

The Council operates a Council Tax Support Scheme (CTS) which helps households of working age with low income, whether in work, unemployed or retired. Eligible residents are being urged to claim CTS as soon as possible.

Government funding has recently been issued to local authorities across the country which will be targeted at those in need. In Erewash, the council will use this money to give every household, where there is a working age person in receipt of CTS, an additional payment of up to £150 toward their council tax liability. This will be automatically credited to their council tax account as soon as possible.

The vast majority of residents usually pay their Council Tax in 10 monthly instalments, starting in April and finishing in January. However, there are other flexible payment plans - residents can apply to pay by weekly, fortnightly or half-yearly instalments or can request to pay over 12 instalments rather than 10.
The council is urging residents to register for a My Erewash account where they will find full information and relevant online forms – including one to apply for CTS and a form to delay payments called ‘Council Tax - Delay Recovery Request’.

Councillor Wayne Major, Erewash Borough Council’s Deputy Leader and Lead Member for Resources, says:

“The additional government funding will help those most in need and we can assure residents in receipt of CTS that we are prioritising claims and that the extra relief money will be credited to their council tax account as quickly as possible.

“We are here to help and offer support wherever we can. Please register for a My Erewash account where you will find the most up to date advice.”