Noise can reduce the quality of life for some people.

We all do things which can have an impact on our neighbours and on the quality of the local environment. Whether we are playing music, carrying out DIY or own a dog which constantly barks, consideration and awareness are the key to making sure your actions are not a problem for others.

The Environmental Protection Act 1990 gives the Council powers to deal with statutory nuisance from noise which includes:

  • Noise from premises.
  • Noise from vehicles, machinery or equipment in a street (this does not include normal traffic noise).

What can I do?

If you are concerned about noise nuisance coming from a neighbour's home or a local business or manufacturer often the best way to deal with the problem in the first instance is to go to the source. Talk to the person or company responsible and explain the problem.

You may find that it can be resolved amicably and without the need for further action. This has the additional benefit of avoiding the tensions that can arise between the parties involved after formal intervention by the Council.

We also have a written policy on how it will deal with noise complaints in our Noise Complaint Policy.A summary is given on our noise complaint leaflet 

If you need further information or help, telephone Environmental Health on 0115 9072244 Ext. 3820.

Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP
0115 907 2244
DC Employer