You don't have to quit smoking alone. It's much easier to do it with the right information, advice and support.
Quit Kit Support Pack
Get your FREE Quit Kit. Smokefree has lots of free support to help you stop for good. Choose from the Quit Kit, smartphone app, email programme or text messages that will help keep you focused wherever you are.
“I can exercise much longer at the gym now”
Mario, 51, had been smoking for 30 years before he quit. His local stop smoking service organised a group session so that the everyone could support each other to break the addiction. The group sessions had a 100% success rate and Mario was delighted. Mario has noticed a wide range of changes since giving up for good: "I'm able to taste, smell - all my senses seem heightened. I can also exercise much longer at the gym now. Although social gatherings were initially the hardest time to resist the urge to reach for a cigarette, now I feel a real sense of freedom."
Quit for you and your baby
When you stop smoking, both you and your baby will feel the benefits immediately. Carbon monoxide and other chemicals will quickly leave your body. This means that there'll be more oxygen in your blood, making you and your baby much healthier.
There is lots of specialist free support to help you stop smoking in pregnancy. You can ask your midwife, GP or pharmacy team for more information, or get in touch with your local NHS Stop Smoking Service. Nearly half of pregnant women who set a quit date with their local NHS Stop Smoking Service go on to quit successfully. You can find out more about quitting smoking for you and your baby on the NHS website.
Top Tips to help you quit
Prepare for the day you quit and avoid temptation - choose a quit date that's unlikely to be stressful and make sure you don't have any cigarettes, lighters or matches on you.
Remember all the reasons why you're quitting:
- Feeling great
- Reduced health risks
- Extra money in your pocket (this cost calculator will help you work out how much you spend on smoking)
- Improved breathing and general fitness
- Fresher breathand and an improved sense of smell and taste
- Less stress and anxiety
- Cleaner lungs and a stronger heart
Stop the craving: top five distractions:
- Talk to someone - call a friend or relative to get some support
- Go for a brisk walk - this will help clear your head and lungs
- Stay busy - keep yourself occupied for those crucial few minutes
- Drink a glass of water or juice
- Change scene - just moving to another room or step outside and get some fresh air
- Last but not least, remember there's never "just one" cigarette. Keep busy, and if you find a certain time of day hard, try a new routine. You CAN do it!
Live Life Better Derbyshire
Live Life Better Derbyshire is a free, healthy lifestyles service that offers a wide range of support including stop smoking advice, weight management and help to get more active.
The service offers a 12 week programme of stop smoking support with a variety of advice and support as well as:
- One to one support
- Free Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) including patches, lozenges and gum
- Access to Champix stop smoking medication on prescription
- Advice on other stop smoking medications
Derbyshire residents can take part in the service by filling in a short self-assessment form online. Alternatively you can call 0800 085 2299 or 01629 538200.