To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from the local authority. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet. Pet vending licence conditions must be met for a licence to be issued.

On payment of an annual licence fee we inspect and issue an annual licence.  The current fee is given in the Council's Fees and Charges list. You can download an application form to complete and return with the fee or you can apply online (see below)

If the application is withdrawn by the applicant after submission a non-returnable minimum charge of £20 will be made to recover administration costs. This will increase to £50 if a site visit has been made.

Eligibility Criteria

Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.

The current fee will be payable on application.

Application Evaluation Process

Local authorities must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:

  • That animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness

  • Adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals

  • That any mammalian animals will not be sold too young

  • That steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals

  • That adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Before issuing a licence, an inspection of the premises concerned may be undertaken to ensure the health and welfare of the animals are protected so tacit consent would not be granted in these circumstances.

The timescale for processing applications is within 28 days of receipt of valid application.

Apply online

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us.

Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the local Magistrates court covering. A court may give directions on the issue of a condition.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Contact details

Environmental Health
Merlin House
Merlin Way

Tel: 0115 907 2244 ext 3820

Trade Associations

Pet Care Trust (PCT)

Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP
0115 907 2244
DC Employer