To run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction) in England, Scotland or Wales, you need a licence from the local authority.

On payment of an annual licence fee detailed in the Council's fees and Charges list a licence is issued within 28 days of receiving the vet's report back. When we receive an application we write to the vets requesting an inspection. Because a vet's report is required, tacit consent would not be granted.

We also recharge the applicant for the vets inspection - this is stated on the current application form but the amount varies depending on the number of animals kept, size of establishment etc. You can download a riding establishment application form to complete and return with the fee or apply online (see below).

If the application is withdrawn by the applicant after submission a non-returnable minimum charge of £20 will be made to recover administration costs. This will increase to £50 if a site visit has been made by an officer from the Council. Any vet fees incurred must also be paid in full.

Eligibility Criteria

Applicants must be over 18 years of age. In England and Wales they must have not been disqualified:

  • from keeping a riding establishment

  • from keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951

  • from having custody of animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954

  • from keeping boarding establishments for animals under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963

  • under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 from keeping or owning animals, being able to influence how animals are kept, dealing animals or transporting or being involved in the transporting of animals

  • from owning, keeping dealing or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006

Regulation Summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence

Application Evaluation Process

Before deciding an application the Council will consider a report from a veterinary surgeon or practitioner detailing whether the premises are suitable for a riding establishment and detailing the conditions of the premises and any horses.

The Council will also take into account whether the applicant is suitable and qualified to hold a licence. They must also be satisfied of the following:

  • That consideration will be given to the condition of the horses and that they will be maintained in good health,

  • Kept physically fit and where the horse is to be ridden or used during riding instruction, be suitable for that purpose

  • That the animals feet will be trimmed properly and that shoes are fitted properly and are in good condition

  • That there will be suitable accommodation for the horses

  • That for horses maintained on grass there is suitable pasture, shelter and water and that supplementary feed will be provided as and when needed

  • That horses will be provided with suitable food, drink and bedding materials and will be exercised, groomed, rested and visited at suitable intervals

  • That precautions will be taken to reduce the spread of contagious or infectious diseases and that veterinary first aid equipment and medicines will be provided and maintained

  • That appropriate procedures are in place to protect and remove the horses in the case of a fire and that as part of this the name, address and telephone number of the licence holder is displayed outside the premises and fire instructions are displayed

  • That storage facilities for forage, bedding, stable equipment and saddlery are provided

In addition to the Council's riding establishment conditions a riding establishment licence must be subject to the following conditions:

  • That any horse inspected by an authorised officer and found to need veterinary attention will not be returned to work until the licence holder has obtained a veterinary certificate confirming the horse is fit for work

  • That a horse will not be let out for hire or for use in instruction without the supervision of a responsible person aged 16 years or older, unless the licence holder is satisfied the rider doesn't require supervision

  • That the business will not be left in the charge of someone under 16 years of age

  • That the licence holder holds indemnity insurance

  • That the licence holder keeps a register of all horses in their possession that are three years old or younger and that the register is available for inspection at all reasonable times

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details below.

Apply online

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us.

An applicant whose application is refused can appeal to the local magistrates' court.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us.

A licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition can appeal to a local magistrates' court.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery).  If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other Redress

E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.

Contact details

Environmental Health
Merlin House
Merlin Way

Tel: 0115 907 2244 ext. 3820

Trade Associations

Association of British Riding Schools (ABRS)

British Dressage

British Equestrian Federation (BEF)

British Equestrian Trade Association (BETA)

Erewash Borough Council

Erewash Borough Council, Town Hall, Wharncliffe Road, Ilkeston, Derbyshire, DE7 5RP
0115 907 2244
DC Employer