Pet Shops

If you sell animals for pets you may require a licence under the Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018. There are separate requirements for the breeding of dogs. Please ensure you have all the required procedures detailed under 'supporting documents' below to submit with your application.

Please note - For details of the current fees see the Animal Welfare Licence page. The first fee must be paid with your application for it to be processed. If your application is successful your licence will not be valid or issued until the second fee has been paid.

Guiance on selling animals as pets can be found on the Department for Enviroment, Food and Rural Affairs website.

Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for more information.

Eligibility Criteria

Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.

The current fee will be payable on application.

Application Evaluation Process

Local authorities must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:

  • That animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness

  • Adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals

  • That any mammalian animals will not be sold too young

  • That steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals

  • That adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Before issuing a licence, an inspection of the premises concerned may be undertaken to ensure the health and welfare of the animals are protected so tacit consent would not be granted in these circumstances.

The timescale for processing applications is within 28 days of receipt of valid application.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact us.

Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the local Magistrates court covering. A court may give directions on the issue of a condition.

Consumer Complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Contact details

Environmental Health
Merlin House
Merlin Way

0115 907 2244 ext 3820
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.